Duh. Pinning.

I have to admit, I am really getting excited about Pinterest. In fact, it's downright addicting! If you have been paying attention to the news lately, Pinterest (a new social media site) has just secured the number 3 most popular social media platform behind Facebook and Twitter. With over 100 million people who have joined, you can definitely understand why.

So what exactly is Pinterest anyways? Well, I like to think of it as an electronic cork board (called a pin board) that is a cross between Twitter and Facebook, where you can share links to things that interest you. As many of you know by now, I am extremely passionate about educational technology. In fact, I have developed several pin boards on just that (check me out on Pinterest).

 So what's so addicting about pin boards? I can share information that I find cool with other people and then they can "re-pin" my links to their pin boards. If I am really passionate about a topic (educational technology!!!), then I can search for people with similar pin boards and see what they have been checking out.

As an educator, you are bombarded with information from all over the place. It can be downright overwhelming. This is why I often use Twitter as a professional development tool because I can pick and choose, which tweets to look at and which ones to ignore. I am starting to see value in Pinterest as a professional development tool and a tool for your classroom. Since it is so new, we will all have to figure out how it fits into our situations. You may want to check it out for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Tips for Engaging Learners with UDL

Phillip Schlechty (2011) theorized that the highest levels of learner engagement require learners' full attention and commitment. While ...